Email is one of the most widely used modes of communication on the internet today. We don't just use email for communication with our friends and family, but it is also used by websites, apps, and services to send us updates, notify us about changes, or send us details about orders, etc.
These days, an average internet user typically receives at least a dozen different emails in his inbox. Unfortunately, not all of the emails that we receive in a day are useful or relevant. Many of the emails that land up in our inboxes are either newsletters or updates that we aren't interested in, or outright Spam emails that we never bother reading.
Dealing with these unwanted emails is a major hassle, and there is a lot of time wasted on deleting emails or blocking unwanted emails on a Mac. Thankfully, incredible apps like Spark Mail app help you deal with unwanted emails and make the process of blocking emails on a Mac simple and easy.
In this guide, we’ll learn how to effectively control unwanted or spam emails from reaching your inbox and how to block someone from emailing you on your Mac.
How to Block Emails on a Mac:
With Spark Mail app, you can instantly block a sender from sending you emails, so that none of their incoming emails claim your attention. Here’s a simple guide that explains how to block a sender from emailing you:
- Download and launch the Spark Mail app on your Mac. Spark is a feature-rich email client for Mac that offers a ton of features over traditional email apps for Mac.
- Set up and configure your email account in Spark. We have detailed guides on how to add an email account in Spark here.
- Open the email from the sender that you want to block emails from.
- Click on the three dots at the top-right of the email, then click on the 'Block [Sender Name]' option.
Now you will no longer receive any emails from this email address in your Spark inbox. You can repeat the same steps above for other senders you'd like to block on your Mac, so that you can avoid being distracted by irrelevant emails and focus on what's actually important to you. You can also select multiple emails in your inbox and choose to Block them together.
How to filter & block incoming emails on a Mac?
Although we’ve learnt how to block emails from an existing sender in your email account, you still have to sort through the clutter in your inbox. What if you could stop emails from landing directly in your inbox? How can you stop someone from emailing you right at the gates?
Spark comes with a feature called Gatekeeper that screens and filters all incoming emails for you, so your inbox can stay neatly organized with only the important emails you care about. When a new sender (someone who’s not previously emailed you) emails you, Spark will ask you whether you want to Accept or Block emails from this sender. If you choose Block, all future emails from this sender won’t appear in your inbox. Here’s how to completely block new emails from someone on a Mac.
- Download & install Spark on your Mac.
- Sign in with the email account that you’d like to use with Spark. If you have multiple email accounts, go ahead and add them all in Spark.
- Enable the Gatekeeper feature by going to Spark’s Settings > Inbox > New Senders and choosing where you’d like to Accept or Block senders. Spark can ask you at the top of your email inbox, or inside the email.
That’s it! Spark is now ready to work on ensuring your inbox remains free from unnecessary spam & irrelevant emails. Now every time someone with a new email address sends you an email, you will get to choose if you’d like to receive emails from them in your inbox.
If you choose to ‘Block’ them, all future emails from that email address will be stowed away in the blocked folder.
That’s how easy it is to filter and block emails on a Mac. Download Spark for Free and switch to the best email app for Mac.
How to Block Email Notifications on a Mac:
Just like you've dealt with the clutter in your inbox, Spark helps you with the clutter of repetitive notifications. Spark Mail app comes with a feature called 'Smart Notifications' that alerts you only for Personal or Important emails, while leaving out the emails that don't need your immediate attention, like weekly newsletters, shopping offers, etc.
Let's find out how to block unwanted emails on a Mac by disabling low-priority notifications.
- Download and Install Spark for Mac if you haven't already, and set up your email account in it.
- Open Spark's Preferences > Notifications.
- Click on the dropdown next to your email account, then choose 'Smart'.
- Repeat these steps for every account you have configured in Spark Mail app.
With Smart Notifications, Spark will intelligently filter your new mail notifications and only alert you about the emails you care about. All of the marketing newsletters, notifications, and other irrelevant junk is silently delivered to your inbox, so you don't have to worry about your Mac constantly buzzing you. Smart Notifications is a great way to block unwanted emails on your Mac with a few simple clicks.
Download Spark for Free and get started with the best email experience available for Mac. You can also get Spark for your devices on other platforms and experience the same incredible set of features when you are on the go.